In episode 03 I have the honor of interviewing one of the true pioneers in the medical cannabis movement….Dr. Frank H. Lucido. I love this interview. In it Dr. Lucido talks in great detail about how he has successfully utilized medical cannabis to treat many of his patients for a myriad of conditions, since it was first legalized in California back in 1996.
Dr. Lucido has been practicing Family and General Medicine in Berkeley-California since 1979. And he, along with his nurse practitioner, , are known to be the most legitimate cannabis doctor’s office since the passage of the California Compassionate Use Act of 1996.
Dr. Lucido provides Expert Witness services for patients and physicians…including consulting AND courtroom testimony. Dr. Lucido also lectures on medical cannabis AND practice standards, and is particularly interested in speaking to doctors to increase the number of responsible physicians willing to make appropriate recommendations for this safe and effective medicine.
Dr. Lucido is also a member of the Society of Cannabis Clinicians, and Physicians for Social Responsibility.
Dr. Frank Lucido answers the following questions:
- So let’s start off by having you share your story of how you become interested in medical cannabis.
- As mentioned in the intro, you have been in the trenches…advocating medical cannabis since it was first legalized here in California. What are some of the challenges that you and other physicians have faced with trying to provide the benefits of medical cannabis to your patients?
- The federal government still legally considers cannabis a schedule I drug. How does this affect how you can legally recommend or prescribe it for your patients?
- You and Dr. Mangini, wrote the widely-read article on implementing the compassionate use of medicinal cannabis for physicians. What methods do you use to determine the best course of action when evaluating a patient who may be a candidate for medicinal cannabis?
- What are some of the more common conditions that respond well to medical cannabis?
- There are several people that I’m very close to who are dealing with neuropathy therefore I am particularly interested in its use for neuropathy. Can you talk a bit about how effective cannabis is in treating nerve pain?
- What are the different ways that people consume medical cannabis?
- Can you talk a bit about Marinol… what it is…how it’s used, and how effective it is when compared with medical cannabis?
- You are one of the few doctors to be using medicinal cannabis when working with children. Tell us how this has helped these kids and the challenges their parents have faced with providing cannabis to their children.
- what do you see as the future of medicinal cannabis?
- Do you have any advice for our listeners who may benefit from medical cannabis but are concerned with negative side effects or of being stigmatized for using marijuana?
- Do you have any resources that you would recommend that people go to for more information on medical cannabis?
CLICK HERE to contact Dr. Lucido and Maria Mangini PhD
CLICK HERE to go to Dr. Lucido and Maria Mangini PhD’s website.
CLICK HERE for more information on the band Daytime NightLife!